Tuesday, September 17, 2013

God Speaks

God Speaks

Shhhhh. Listen! What is it? Shhhhhh. Listen! Listen to what? God, God is speaking. Can you hear him? Are you listening? Throughout scripture God speaks to his people. God gives instructions and directions to his people.

1 Samuel 3:4-14 (NIV)

 Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. Again the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. A third time the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.”

Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

11 And the Lord said to Samuel: “See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make the ears of everyone who hears about it tingle. 12 At that time I will carry out against Eli everything I spoke against his family—from beginning to end. 13 For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed God, and he failed to restrain them. 14 Therefore I swore to the house of Eli, ‘The guilt of Eli’s house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.’”

God is calling Samuel, yet neither Samuel nor Eli recognizes God’s call. Eli finally recognizes that God is calling Samuel. Is this not often our story? God calls out to us, but we fail to recognize his voice.

Recently…

 Recently, I was driving to New Jersey. I stopped at a gas station to get gas. I felt an impression to put air in the left rear tire of the car. I looked at it. It was a little low. But I was anxious to get back on the road. So, I said ah it’s okay. I’ll put air in it later. Well, later the tire deflated further and went flat while driving 70 miles an hour. I think God spoke to me and I failed to act. God was graceful. I was able to keep the car under control and get safely to the side of the road. I put on the spare and it got us to Jersey.

A story…

A number of years ago I ran across a story (I am not sure of the title or author), which inspired me to listen more closely for God’s voice. To shhhh myself down so I could hear and than take some risks in obedience to God.

In the story a young man wants to hear from God. After asking God to speak to him, God impresses on the young man to buy a gallon of milk. After some questioning of this impression the young man stops and buys a gallon of milk. He reasons that he could drink the gallon of milk if need be. But as he gets back into his car, he again feels an impression in his spirit. The impression tells him to stop at a seemingly random house and give the milk to the folks in the house. As I recall the home is dark and the young man is reluctant to go knock on the door of strangers and offer them a gallon of milk. But after some rankling with God he goes to the door and rings the door bell. The father comes to the door. The young man gives the milk to the dad. Sounds of joy and crying are heard throughout the house as the man goes running to his wife to tell her: “God had answered our prayer!” It turns out the people in the house were broke and had been praying for milk for their young child. God used the young man to answer their prayer.

Shhhhh. Listen! What is it? Shhhhhh. Listen! Listen to what? God, God is speaking. Can you hear him?

Questions…

Are you listening? Have you heard God speak to you lately? Have you been prompted by God to do something? How have you responded?

No comments:

Post a Comment